Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

BAC'S Gallery Fine Art Center Presents The Art of Julie Crews


BAC's Gallery Fine Art Center presents the art of Julie Crews, John Wagoner and Steve Zihlavsky.  The Show will be from February 1-April 30 with an opening reception on February 25, 5:30-7:30 at 2151 Airline Drive, suite 1200, Bossier City, Louisiana.  The gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday 12:00-5:00pm.



About Julie:


Julie Crews is an oil painter. She grew up in Asheville, North Carolina and her painterly work bespeaks an ability to find beauty in the mundane and surprise in the repetitious.

In 2007 she received her Associate degree in Illustration from Brigham Young University- Idaho and in 2008 she had her first solo exhibit in Salt Lake City. She has since been included in several National Juried Exhibitions and was chosen as a Louisiana Public Broadcasting Patron Artist in 2011.

She lives and in Northern Louisiana with her husband and four children and continues to show her work nationally. 
Inlet


In Julies own words:

"My work concentrates on the very scenes of domestic life that take me away from painting. It seems natural to integrate the roles I have as artist, wife and mother in the studio, though my intent is not to create nostalgic tomes of motherhood. Nor is it to idealize or glorify my role in the home. Rather, to provide the viewer an intimate glimpse into my personal life. Some scenes of domesticity require self-portrayal; others are simply familiar scenes of my daily dealings.
-Take turns.
-Read the instructions.
-Don't eat paste.

As in life, there are rules. I am careful to adhere to the principles of good design, however, I am inherently a rule breaker and am bound to push the limitations of my current skill level and challenge the tendencies of my past work.

 I believe I land somewhere in the middle of the art continuum. One end advertises “challenging concepts with innovative use of materials” and at the other: “pretty pictures”. My challenging concept is happiness in the home, and choosing to see a beautiful life amidst the mundane. And I choose it even if that means my “pictures” end up being “pretty”."-Julie Crews 



The Gallery Fine Art Center is a project of the Bossier Arts Council and is made possible through the generous contributions of Meredith Hamrick, Ken and Sharon McGivney, Marcy Everett and the Airline Plaza.  For more information on these artists, the Bossier Arts Council and the Gallery Fine Art Center please call (318) 741-8310 or check out out website, www.bossierarts.org

No comments:

Post a Comment